Dear Members and Friends, Christ is in our midst!
With the blessing of Metropolitan Tikhon, St. Matthew will be moving to Phase 2/Stage 4 of the Synodal Directives, consistent with Maryland’s COVID-19 recovery and reopening plan. This stage permits additional parishioners to attend our liturgical services (beginning Saturday, July 11, 2020) with strict limits on attendance and with safety measures in place.
Please note the following:
- Attendance will be on a first come, first served basis, with priority given to parishioners.
- Additional priority may be given to parishioners who have not been able to attend Divine Liturgy/Vespers in preceding weeks.
- Permission to attend will be confirmed by phone or email.
- We ask that members familiarize themselves with COVID-19 symptoms and refrain from attending services if they are symptomatic.
- We ask that members familiarize themselves with CDC guidance on stopping the spread of COVID-19
- Elderly parishioners and those with pre-existing conditions as defined by civil government are encouraged to continue watching the live-streaming services at home.
Please familiarize yourself with the safety procedures that will be used at St Matthew:
- Members must have their temperature taken prior to entering the building.
- Members must sanitize their hands and check-in upon entering the building
- Face coverings (masks) must be worn at all times in the building (except when receiving communion)
- Social distancing must be maintained at all times (except when receiving communion)
- After check-in, members must proceed directly to their seat(s)
- Children must remain in their seats at all times during the services
- Directions for receiving communtion will be provided by Father Constantine
- At the completion of the service, parishioners must proceed directly out of the facility
This guidance is mandated by the Holy Synod, and is consistent with state and local guidance. Safety procedures must be strictly followed. As we continue through Phase 2/Stage 4, these procedures may be subject to change. We will keep you updated with information on current guidance. We pray for your patience and understanding.
The church will continue to lifestream Vespers (Saturdays at 5 pm) and the Third Hours and Divine Liturgy (Sundays at 9:15 am). Please join these services at www.stmatthewoca.tv
Welcome to The Orthodox Church of St. Matthew. We are a vibrant, ethnically diverse community, with an active Sunday School and a wide variety of church ministries. Whether you are looking to explore Orthodox Christianity, visiting the area, or looking for a new church home, we welcome you to join us in worship!
The Orthodox Church of St. Matthew is a community of Orthodox Christians who strive to love the Lord our God with all our hearts, souls, and minds and therefore seek to love our neighbors as ourselves (Matthew 22:37-40).
St. Matthew is a parish of the Orthodox Church in America, the Archdiocese of Washington. His Beatitude, TIKHON is Archbishop of Washington and Metropolitan of North America and Canada.
INCLEMENT WEATHER – In the event of questionable weather, information about church services will be available three (3) hours prior to any scheduled service by calling our church at 240-755-0324. A voice message will be the primary source; the church website and Twitter account will be secondary sources. “As important as Divine Liturgy is, it is more important to ensure your safety; do not take unnecessary risk to attend church in bad weather.” -Father Constantine
Saturdays at 5 pm; Great Vespers
Sundays at 9:15 am; Hours
9:30 am; Divine Liturgy (Followed by Sunday School and Fellowship Hour)
See our calendar for information on additional services and events.